Wednesday, July 10, 2013

BIKE RIDE TO POINT LOMA


One of my favorite things about living on Coronado is the convenience of boarding the morning commuter ferry for a ride across the bay to downtown San Diego. It is free and includes a return pass.
VIEW OF SAN DIEGO BAY

Today I'm bringing my bike along with plans for a 45 minute ride to Point Loma. What I like about this bike route is that it follows the San Diego Bay, with a lovely view of the downtown skyline, Coronado, North Island, and moored boats. It also passes the airport for a look at the landing planes. I can almost hear the flight attendants announcing to the arriving passengers,“Welcome to America's Finest City.” I continue to agree with them, it really is.
BOATS ON SHELTER ISLAND

     My first stop is Fashion Nails, 1333 Rosecrans Street, for a much needed pedicure and manicure. I love this place because they do a great job, they are fast, friendly, and only charge $21.95. When I first came to Point Loma, 12 years ago, the price was $15.95.

     After taking at least 15 minutes to get the nails dry, I'm heading out for a pleasant bike ride around Shelter Island. This is really not an island despite the name. It is connected to the mainland by a narrow strip of land. It is 1.2 miles long and only a few hundred feet wide; mainly parkland, with a few marinas and hotels. Many people like to fish on the pier, or sit on the benches to enjoy the view of the bay and the hills of Point Loma. There is public art on the island, my favorite is the large bronze sculpture of  tuna fisherman by Franco Vianello.

BRONZE SCULPTURE
TUNA FISHERMEN

On the way back, I took a short detour around Harbor Island to enjoy one of the best views of the downtown skyline. This man-made island is two miles long and only a few hundred feet wide, and also connected to the mainland by a strip of land. It is mainly know for the Sheraton Hotel and marinas, but it is also home to The Island Prime Restaurant, which has a great happy hour in the connecting C Level. The skyline view from this establishment is great and well worth a visit. Convenient to the airport, it is a great stop when picking-up and dropping-off visitors.
VIEW OF SKYLINE FROM HARBOR ISLAND
I sat on the bench for awhile to take in the sights on this perfect San Diego day, and then finished my ride back to the pier to meet a friend for lunch. We dined at Anthony's Fish Grotto, 1360 North Harbor Drive. We were able to get a table with a window view of the bay. They have a value priced lunch menu with a choice of items for around $10.00. I enjoyed the fresh fish with cole slaw, and my friend, Jan, recommends the clam chowder. This is an old vintage establishment that was founded in 1946—worthy of a visit for its seafood and surroundings.
Since I had extra time to wait for the next ferry, I walked my bike on the sidewalk which leads to Seaport Village passing the Navy Pier and USSMidway Museum. The Midway is a floating aircraft carrier with 29 aircraft onboard.  There is a lot of activity along the way—it is prime tourist season in San Diego. Lots of people—however, the perfect weather more than compensates for the crowds. 

THE BAY
MARINA

TRAILER-- CALIFORNIA STYLE
otto

No comments:

Post a Comment